This sweet and sour fish dish is that simple and yet gastronomically satisfying. The sweet and sour gravy goes so well with rice.
* 1 Blucrrent hybrid grouper steak about 300-400g
* Salt for coating fish
* Cornflour for coating fish steak
* 2 slices ginger
* Oil for frying fish steak
* 2 tbsp cooking oil
* 1/2 onion, chopped
* 1 tomato, cubes
* 1 tsp preserved miso paste
* 100 ml water
* 4 tbsp ketchup
* 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
* 1 red chilli, finely pounded, remove seeds
* sugar, to taste
* 1/2 tsp cornstarch, mix with 2 tbsp of water
* coriander leaves
1. Prep the fish, clean the fish, wash and pat dry.
2. Coat the fish steak with salt and cornflour.
3. Heat the oil, and add sliced ginger fried the fish. Remove fish when both sides turned golden brown. Set aside.
4. To prepare the gravy, leave 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Add onion and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
5. Turn to medium-low heat.
6. Add water, miso paste, ketchup, sweet chili sauce, pounded chilli, and sugar. Bring to a slow boil.
8. Add cornstarch solution and stir quickly for a minute.
9. Pour the gravy over the fried fish. Garnish with coriander leaves
10. Serve the fish immediately.
– Blucurrent has red snapper fillet or steak cut fish or whole fish as alternative.
– Blucurrent fish comes gilled, gutted and descaled so it’s easy to prepare.
– If you are using whole fish, give the fish a cut on each side, it will help with even frying and easier to check on the fish done-ness.
– The frying time for the fish should be adjusted accordingly to the size and thickness of the fish.
– Opt frying using air fryer if you do not want to fried using oil. Spray some oil or the fish may be too dried during air frying.